Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Euphemisms

eu‧phe‧mism  /ˈyufəˌmɪzəm/[yoo-fuh-miz-uhm] – noun
1. the substitution of a mild, indirect, or vague expression for one thought to be offensive, harsh, or blunt.

I like that this definition comes from the UN-abridged dictionary....

Anyway. Today provided a wonderful example of euphemism. It was another follow-up appointment with my doctor, who:

1) Was very positive at the progress of my feet; and
2) Offered this euphemism:

"It's really surprising, how cautious you are being... given your demographic."

Some alternative translations:
"You are acting wimpier than any grandmother would."
"You are a woos."
"Get over it."

I spent a moment assessing whether I should feel ashamed or embarassed (hey, I teach aerobics!). I admit I've been careful but come on: who wants to mess up surgery like that? It's your *feet*. So, I chose to put the shame asiide and instead to feel encouraged. I am getting better! There is light at the end of tunnel!

So I opted to walk back as much as I could to the MUNI (ok, i took the bus for 1 block). And I had some nice chuckles along the way. "For your demographic." Nice.

1 comments:

Tony said...

I got similar comments when I went to get a cardiac stress test ;-|